Monday, November 05, 2012

HP to ASUS

It has been 4 years since I bought my first laptop, the HP Tx2028 for $699 in conjuction with a starhub promotion.

It was one of the first tablet laptops although I didn't really make use of the tablet function. It broke down on the first year, right before my first exam of that semester and coincidentally I got my best grades then. Haha. Luckily it was on warranty but it broke down again 2 years later and it cost me $257 to repair.

One year later, after enduring so much travelling, it broke down again the first thing I switched it on in Singapore. Well at least I'm glad it didn't break down in Shanghai, or else I wouldn't have known what to do. I guess it has something to do with difference in climate, the humidity or temperature or it could be the voltage difference which put a strain on the laptop.

It was the motherboard, said the pc repair shop, and it will cost ~$250 to repair. She also adviced against it because it was really too old, and I sort of agree.

It is time for a new laptop to fit into my new life.

A speed comparison with the latest laptops, ASUS proved to have the best durability so I narrowed down to this.

The ultrabook with an optical drive, the super slim Asus S46CM


$1298 with 2 years warranty, free wireless mouse, free wired mouse and laptop bag.
Running on Windows 7, with a $17.99 upgrade to Windows 8.

So far it has served me very well, really fast and responsive, light and portable. The only thing I didn't like are the pre-installed Asus softwares which are annoying. Other than that, I'm happy with the price for an intel core i7 ultrabook.

so.. what should I do with my old laptop? I took out the hard disk to transfer my files but the rest of the parts are still working properly except for the motherboard. Hm....