Monday, July 31, 2017

Furano Biel Asahikawa summer 2017

The main purpose of my trip this time is also to visit the famous Lavender farms of Furano.
During Summer there's a limted express train from Sapporo to Furano, and a sight-seeing train from Furano to Biel and most of the lavender attractions.

The curry rice that my friends recommended was closed but I stumbled into this restaurant Kumagera which had a queue before it was opened. Super good omurice with curry and only costs $12.


From there I missed the train so I took the bus to one of the sunflower/lavender fields.

Lavender actually smells like grass
I walked to the famous Farm Tomita, first stop at Melon farm. This melon tart is amazing at so many levels. The sweetness of the melons are indescribable, only addictive. 
Who wouldn't buy the lavender soft serve? I actually couldn't taste anything lavender about it I guess it's a tourist trap. 
Flower fields
All the flowers are in full bloom, a lot of tourists though
I bought some lavender essence and candles and they smell really good and natural. My room smells great now. Then I took the last train to Asahikawa and stayed for the night.

The zoo at Asahikawa is the most popular zoo in Japan. I wanted to skip it because I thought it's just a normal zoo but it was not. I was totally surprised that it's totally a different zoo experience, and the enterance fee was just $10.

It's quite an open concept and you could see the animals really up close. The penguins were swimming around me it seemed like they were flying.

I could actually touch the tiger or leopard if I just reach my arms out. They could actually pee on me when they are above me. 

This monkey was swinging so high up, without any cages or safety nets
The petting zoo were we could actually touch rabbits, goats and ducks.
I think this is the first time I saw a hippo. (besides the time one stayed with me in Niseko)

Totally recommended to spend half a day in this zoo. They have a large variety of animals and the best thing is experiencing the animals really up close.

No comments:

Post a Comment