Saturday, July 14, 2012

Shanghai week 1

Day 1 Sunday
Checked into the budget hotel with no safe deposit box and fridge. No carpet floor, no tub but it was clean and basic, like a chalet. Nothing to complain about since it costs around $50 a night. I felt like going back immediately. The humid weather didn't help anything. Set down my stuff, I walked to the office building from the hotel, about 15 minutes. The macdonald's is really really cheap, like $4 for a big mac meal. Coke is 60c a bottle, 40c a can, noodles costs $1.50.

Walked to the nearest mall, which is supposedly one of the bigger ones in Shanghai and it wasn't too shabby. Although it was nothing like ion, it was more like the malls in M'sia.. dirty floors, so crowded and the Carrefour looks like our wet market. I hope this is not one of the best shopping malls in Shanghai.

After eating KFC (which costs the same as SG), I strolled back to the hotel and set up my VPN for facebook and twitter and starting missing everyone in Sg. The other Singaporean came over to find me and we chatted a little while before heading back and prepare for the orientation tomorrow morning.

I'm stuck here for 2 years. Dang.

Day 2 Monday
The sun rose about 5.30am, which is kinda good coz I hate waking up earlier than the sun. I locked my laptop in my luggage because there were no safe box. There was buffet breakfast, not bad a spread and saw the other china students going for the orientation. They were wearing home clothes while me and the other guy wore office wear. Later I found out from 2 of the program coordinators that we were more professional because the china students just graduated and didn't know what to wear.

The first hour was torturous. Me and the other guy was the only foreigner in the group of 38. Of course, most of the attention was on both of us. All the lectures about the company was held in chinese and I was relieved that one lesson conducted by an American in English. I finally saw my manager and my HR who were also very happy to see me. (i think).

One of the lectures actually showed that the average salary was 4332 RMB. Hm... I started to feel quite bad for them. Most of them are very smart as I talked to them, but circumstances are different. Different people in different situations. I was starting to feel very rich in Shanghai. hahah..

Towards the end of the day we were signing contracts and settling most of the admin stuff. I really felt there was no turning back. Dinner at the hotel and I went back to the room to rest and searching for my apartment with the help of Cathy. We will be hunting tmr.

Day 3 Tuesday
Morning was too boring to remember anything. Oh except one of our colleagues come to give a lecture, and she introduced herself "My name is Lulu. Hua yu ming shi Lulu". I got breast cancer immediately. Too much internal injuries. I was pinching myself to stop myself from laughing, and whenever they mentioned her name my mouth twitched.

Coincidentally, lunch was Szechuan cusine. really spicy and I didn't eat much. The rest of the day was also boring, except towards the end, all the management trainees were gathered and the alumni did a small presentation, which added stress to most of us with so many activities we have to plan and our job rotation within the company. sighs. so much thinking of wanting to quit the job now.

Apartment hunting wasn't successful as the agents shifted to tomorrow. Mac for dinner.

Day 4 Wednesday
Boring lessons again, hunted for a few lousy apartments with our company chauffeur with the big company car. Cathy brought me to Xujiahui, one of the shopping districts in Shanghai and treated me to dinner which made me feel quite bad because she had to bring me around for apartment hunting and still treated me.

Day 5 and 6 Thursday Friday
I really hate orientation/team building/leadership training camps. I am thoroughly sick of them because I have been to so many during my days in school. Plus the instructor was very very naggy. When asked a question, the china students will reply with a solid "HAO" I really wanted to slap myself because it was too cheena. Very 'song' if you know what I mean. Anyway it was pretty fun towards the end at night. Oh it was held at Shanghai National Accounting Institute and they have a few blocks of hotels inside for guests with courses with the school to stay.

Friday evening was apartment hunting day. It was rather fruitful because the apartments are rather nice but a bit expensive. not near the office too. More apartment hunting next week and until then, I will be staying in the hotel for another week. Sighs. Why do I always feel depressed on the first week of a long stay at another country.