Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Workings

It felt so good to be connected to the world again.

I thought I would never say this but I cannot live without a mobile line!! I have been line-less for more than a week, besides my Singapore number all of my friends and colleagues have no way of contacting me. If I were abducted or lost or anything here, then......

Mobile, checked.
Bank account, checked
Apartment, checked.
Friends, checked.

Just settled my studio apartment today. Still needs a lot of cleaning up and decorating, I guess. Will move in on Saturday. I hope everything is good. Made a lot of Singaporean friends over mutual friends in Shanghai haha. lucks and connections. I'm so glad for them, for they made me less lonely in this strange land.

Everything just came too fast for me. Stupid orientation week which took up a lot of my time and learnt nothing, and those orientation games that I had been doing since secondary school just made me roll my eyes even more. Hello, I'm a working professional, not a student anymore. I understand that China students don't have this privilege of having leadership training camps or team building camps in school but I just don't wanna come here and think I'm still a student.

My manager has been very nice to me, letting me stay in the hotel for long and having the company chauffeur to drive me around to look for apartments. Well I think if it wasn't for her support I would have just flew back. That would freak everyone out. Heh.

Officially first day of work today and I would say my previous working experience has trained me very well in my current position. I could feel a lot of ideas coming out of me and benefit of being a foreigner in the office: everyone listens to you. Attentively. Even when you are joking. Haha. They have this impression that Singaporean are higher class students, just like our impression of most ang moh students from UC Berkeley.

We'll see how it goes in a months time.