Wednesday, December 11, 2013

a lost penpal

I just vaguely recalled that when I was 12 years old, I used to hang out at the CCK library after school to surf the net or play games on the computers. At that point of time, online chatting is a very cool and popular thing to do.

I was on yahoo chat. I forgot how I started, I began chatting with this guy at Arizona, USA and he was serving the military. I think he was 19 or 21 at that point of time, so we began chatting and we agreed to exchange addresses to become penpals. 

I will always remember after exchanging, he wrote, "looks like you got yourself a penpal, buddy."

He was in the Marine Corps, and at that point of time I didn't know what is the marine corps. I thought he meant marine crops, so I was thinking, is he in marine farming or something?

After a week, I consulted my form teacher how much the stamp costs to US and I bought a $1 stamp before sending out the the letter. 

I never got a reply, and some of the reasons might be due to:

1. I forgot to write his name on his address
2. I forgot to write Marine Corps
3. The letter never got to him

Well this was 14 years ago. By now he should be like 35? I dunno. I wonder if yahoo still keeps a history of chat logs, because I totally forgot his name. I think it was John or something. 

In any case, I hope he is still doing well, or at least, still alive.