Saturday, August 12, 2017

Up and on to a new level

In May one of my co-workers in another business tendered her letter so there was going to be a vacancy in her business.

I was approached by 2 co-workers to see if I want to take up the role. What made my decision difficult was that I was bound for London sooner or later and I was very used to being in this small business team. What made my decision easy was that I was increasingly frustrated with my manager and I had nothing more to learn from her, so it was hindering my career growth.

If I had stayed any longer I would stay the same, and as quoted from many HRs, you should always move after 3 years. So even if there's no salary increase, I would also move go over to the other business. The process was super easy and smooth, I almost didn't have to lift a finger or do anything to fill the vacancy, I was the perfect fit and it was confirmed after lunch with the co-worker who approached me.

When my manager found out she was a little sour and she said she didn't expect it (she did say some things that's worthy of eyeball gymnastics). Another of my colleague came down from London and when I told him he was really happy for me and actually could recommend me for a position in London if I ever wish to go. I was really relieved to know that I made right decision.

On Monday I had a chat with HR and I found out my salary is boosted to another level. She said it was not common for a lateral career move but my hiring manager is very supportive. When I returned to my desk and made a quick calculation, I was mind blown, like:


After being in the work force for 5 years, I have projected that is indeed the amount that I should be getting as compared to my peers, and I'm pleased that it was within the range of a higher position than the position I was supposed to fill. To add on, I still have my full year bonus and increment next year. Well, does that mean that my current team is underpaid? Anyway don't care, I was just in shock because I also didn't expect the increase to be so mind blowing, so I was just spinning around on my chair with a confused expression for 10 mins.

This is one of the best decision I have made. I am so thankful that all my hard work paid off and I am moving away from my current place. Time to give back to my co-workers who helped me move along and set my standards to a higher level. I will be starting the new role in September.

No comments:

Post a Comment