Monday, February 04, 2019

Japan 2019

We had intended to go Japan in Feb but somebody didn't have enough leave, so it was back to my original plan - to go end Jan and be overseas for my birthday. 

This time round, I'm very glad that I went alone. I could go according to my own schedule and accomplish so much, and I already had a list of things I needed to buy and stock up. I was planning to go back to Myoko to stay at Mieko-san's place but they didn't have room so I had to book another resort Morino Lodge in a bunk bed and it was half the price! Super lucky.

I took Thai airways, transit at Bangkok for an hour and I really love their food and service but their entertainment system is not updated. Reach at Haneda and checked into my capsule hotel for the night. It was my first time in a capsule hotel and I couldn't sleep properly because a lot of people were walking around and stuff. I posted my bed on IG and so many people said it was so cute. 

Second day, got my JR pass, took the train to Nagano, had my Nagano Soba, checked in hotel and it started snowing heavily. I have passed by Nagano so many times but always didn't have the time to explore the city and the famous temple, so I borrowed the umbrella from the hotel and walked to the Zenoji temple. I explored for 1-2 hours, it was not bad but the highlight was the Donki next to my hotel haha. I saw my Arimino hair wax on sale there, so I bought some to sell in Carousell LOL.
I took the train back to Tokyo for dinner at tori-paitan ramen shop, then Shinjuku, Akihabara to check out prices of stuff and rushed back to Tokyo just in time to take the last train back to Nagano at 10pm. I was aiming for the 9pm train but this will do. Phew, if I were later I would have missed the train. 
Next morning train to Myoko after breakfast, the snow is really falling like crazy. Checked in, found out I was the only one in the 4 bed bunkroom. The lodge was quite awesome but a lot of foreigners, not the authentic Japanese kind, but the bed was good. The breakfast was ok, not as good as Mieko-san's but still edible lol. Off to the slopes I go after renting.
Akakura Kanko. I like this slope better than Akakura Onsen, which can be boring after a while. It has a good mix of beginner and advanced slope and it's longer, and it snowed soooo much. I had dinner at a new wagyu beef BBQ place, it was so damn good. I went back to find out I'm sharing the room with 3 other girls hahaha.
Next day, Suginohara, the best slope ever. The snow was incredible, it was the best I've ever experienced in 5 years of snowboarding, and I heard a foreigner saying it was the best in his 32 years of skiing hahaha, it was so good. Dinner was at Udon no fu, favourite Udon place.
This year's experience was so good I regret only booking for 2 nights. The next morning I went to do onsen, took IG story coz nobody was in the onsen and definitely got a lot of FOMO comments from friends haha. Back to Nagano, coz I left my luggage at the hotel, and then some shopping, and back to Tokyo for lunch.
First up, I had the best chicken-soup base ramen in my life. It was creamy with a little bit of truffle, the noodles and ingredients were omg crazy good. I have to eat this everytime I go back Japan. And then shopping for a while, then coffee and cheesecake time. Dinner was sushi at Shibuya, and I discovered Mega Donki at Shibuya OMG. 
 
 
Next morning I took the train to Niigata, there was nothing much there, I went for the Sake Brewery tour and Sake tasting, bought 2 bottles back. The sushi which was supposedly famous was just average. I probably need more time to explore the rest of Niigata but I didn't have much time there. Back to Akihabara for facial stuff shopping, went to Daikan-yama the new hipster place, then Shibuya, Beams and had Fu Uniji dipping noodles for dinner.

Friday was my last day in Tokyo so I had to wrap up everything to buy. I had the best tonkatsu in my life for lunch but had to queue for 30mins. The pork loin was breaded with light feathery coat, and it almost melts in your mouth. It was so flavourful that I almost teared. Why is it so good!!! Next time I had to go at 1.30pm to avoid the queue. Then Shinjuku Bicqlo, Harajuku, Cat street, Shibuya, Donki. If I had enough money I would buy all the limited edition Lanvin En Bleu stuff, but I bought a nice tshirt in the end. 
 
I just love shopping at Donki and their tax-free policy. I had dinner at a random ramen place beside my hotel and it was so comforting in this weather. I initially wanted to go clubbing but Keith came over and we had the Kiwi Strong Zero, which was really awesome. Half a can will make you high, I'm glad my last night in Japan ended with a high. It was soooo good, although I didn't have enough sleep because I had to pack all my shopping stuff into my luggage. 
My flight was 10.30am, I reached the airport at 9am, did some duty free shopping.
Reminder to self: always buy Shiseido at the counters coz they will give free samples Ha. And then it's time to Bangkok with Thai airways hospitality!

No comments:

Post a Comment