Friday, July 23, 2010

Last day at HSBC




Thursday 22-July-2010 adds another job experience to my resume, and my last day at HSBC.

I could say this was one of the best job experience i had, and closer to what i hoped to achieve in a bank. It is more of an internship rather than a temp job though.

Basically I'm doing forfaiting, which is a special and niche kind of trading dealing with imports and exports with different kind of financing and investing. It's a very small department but we earn millions everyday. YES, EVERYDAY. scary huh. I'm supporting the frontline by preparing the documents for the bank and investors while the marketing side make deals, so my job is on the spot everyday, cant be delayed or else there will be trouble.

Its wrong to stereotype bank cultures because working culture depends on your type of work, office and colleagues. I'm fortunate to be in this environment where most of my colleagues are mothers so i get very well taken care of. haha. They are like a big family and not afraid to speak out freely, therefore there are no office politics at all.

Really rare or unheard of NO, ZERO, NONE office politics in the office, perhaps because all of them has been working for more than 20 years and most of them are really smart mothers. Politics are for immature and childish bitches.

As usual, desk-bound jobs is boring after while and it happened after i've learnt everything within a month, it became quite routine and i finished my work so fast that i always had nothing to do 1 or 2 hours in betweens and before knock off. After a month i told myself i'm never going to get a desk-bound job which involves staring at the computer everyday for long hours i.e. bank jobs . Well, its just a temporary, don't expect too exciting stuff.

Over these two months i had been involved in quite a few company eating events and very well fed. The first few days when i came in our boss always buys teatime snacks, next is karen's farewell when we had a mini party in the office, then there was this random lunch at Raffles Hotel Royal China Restaurant, lastly my (sort of) farewell party with many desserts and sweets. I was quite shocked they were observant about my eating habits, for example they know that i like sweet stuff and not dry pastries. Reason: you know, caring mothers. One of the reasons why i became fatter.

oh and i had rendezvous with many many of my friends working in the area!!! liwen, hiang, reika, liujun, huiyu, reuben, bernice, santek and peixuan! My lunchplace never changes at Golden Shoe, cheap and good, the best chicken rice i've eaten in Singapore is found there. I miss my Dark Chocolate Mint 100% FAT-FREE frozen yoghurt and my rasin cream bread beside it!!! Luckily reuben, huiyu and me ate everything before i left. hee.

Contacts and networking are very important. haha my boss actually said he'll welcome me back after i graduate in 2 years time, this time i hope i'll do the marketing part.

oh wells, who know what the future holds for me.

Now my future lies in Exxonmobil.

No comments:

Post a Comment