Friday, December 17, 2010

Intern + Supervisor Xmas Gathering

You know you have to do something when your supervisor mentioned "hey we should have an interns and supervisors gathering" on 3 separate occasions and the Korean boss asked for a xmas gathering.

So, I chaired the event, asked everyone for a free date and send calendar invites to 13 people. Nobody knew who's gonna pay for it because its difficult to split and the 4 interns were prepared to go dutch, or worse still - BUY for our supervisors.

And then judgement day is here.

the afternoon Lionel pulled me into a room to pass me some department xmas gifts.

L: hey so what's the program later?
Me: oh just a simple xmas dinner, are you okay with that?
L: yup i'm fine, but since its an unofficial event you know the company will not be paying right? because every department has their own financials and its difficult.
Me: yup, we know we expected it.
L: or are you all buying?

He must have seen the look on my face the split second i hear that. I swallowed.

Me: Er.... we don't mind la.

Game Over.
Well done, myself.
Now i think of it, i should have said something like...Good idea, should we? or we'll leave it to another day? or i hafta ask the other interns first.

so i went back to announce it to my other 3 supposedly-good-intern-friends and they thanked me. Thank you, in our intern terms means thanks for paying. I was so stressed up the entire afternoon i couldn't do any work. I have already made reservation at Brotziet, a german bar and restaurant with mains starting at $20 and beers starting $10.

1 intern + 1 supervisor = $80
1 intern + 2 supervisors = $120
13 people = $450

i got ready my gloves to wash the dishes after the dinner. Nearing the dinner time, the korean boss came over and i was a little bit relieved that he was going. Well he's the one with the corporate credit card.

Fast-forward, I was thinking, heck! just have fun first and stress later. I was in my natural high because I was chairing the event. K boss ordered everything and we all had beer. Pork knuckle, sausages, seafood appetizers and beer. Super wonderful and sinful combination, but it was really worth it. SO GOOD. The company was exceptional, a lot of laughing and interacting.

ok i said i will never drink in my life but alcohol is never unavoidable, especially after work and exceptionally especially with a korean boss. Once your glass is empty, another glass automatically comes up at his order.

My body system is very sensitive. Not having touched alcohol for a long time, i feel the maximum effect of the alcohol. I wasn't drunk, it was only beer, just high and babbering almost non-stop at the table (i think). Its not over the edge, just taking more than usual.

The bill came, magic dusts and fireworks appeared on my mind when O KOREAN MIGHTY ONE whipped out the credit card which shone like a golden sun over the horizon and hand it to the waitress.

I am so glad everything worked out in the end and everything went smoothly. Except for the fact that my corner of the table didn't have much to eat and went home feeling a bit hungry.

and another thing. I'm feeling the effects of talking too much then. I wanna take back some of the things i said, like how i have a lot of free time or how i wanna join the company, because my supervisor just opened the flood gates of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment