Wednesday, December 02, 2015

Redundancy

Redundancy.

That's the word that my company use for political purposes to express retrenchment, being let go or fired.

The last two weeks of November has been crazy. Thursday we heard the news of CMB cutting people. 3 of my colleagues in UK has been made "redundant". It was a shocker since they said that trade is still one of our strategic priority and the colleagues that were retrenched were so wonderful. It all happened within one day, they were called into the office and asked to pack their stuff and do some handover. I felt really uneasy but my manager has already told us to be mentally prepared.

The week after, our head called us into his office, then he started explaining. I was super nervous at that time, when he said those who are made redundant are not in the office today. In the Singapore office,  5 of us were affected. 3 were told to leave while 2 were re-deployed. I think our morale was super low at that time because it was really nerve-wrecking for us. Even one of the colleagues said it was her first time experiencing this in 30 years in this company.

I was super worried because one, I'm really a new comer and two, I think my role is quite redundant and three, my head didn't seem to like me very much. 2 of the impacted were my good friends, and some were wonderful colleagues. Should I be relieved I wasn't made redundant or should I panic that the company is too practical?

Anyway right on point, I received a phone call for an interview at P&G. I really hope I can get a better package than my current one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment