Wednesday, May 03, 2017

phone anxiety

Last month I experienced an anxiety disorder.

I keep wanting to touch my phone and check my apps if anyone's texted me or something almost every 5 minutes and I can't stop myself. At those moments I was feeling super insecure and probably felt like I needed to connect to the social world in one way or another, looking at what my friends are doing, checking ig and fb and stuff and I felt anxiety if I didn't touch my phone for a while.

Until I checked my data usage, it exceeded my plan so I had to discipline myself to stop touching the phone. There were withdrawals at first, but soon I made peace with myself.

A phone is not a necessity to a person. It helps in communicating but that's all, we didn't use to have instagram or facebook or whatever in the past and why should we NEED them now? The useless chucks of information are just gonna process for a while in my our brains unfiltered and I'm just wasting my time refreshing, when I can do it all at one go once a day. Focus is what you need.

People are all around you. Talk to them face to face, not over texts or screens. That's the real social life. Understand people, read their expressions, predict their response, define their characteristics.

Phones are just tools. Social media is virtual, it's just lala land. People are REAL. The person in front of you is real. The scenery in front of you is real. Your senses feel it.

No comments:

Post a Comment