Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Switzerland 2022 - Zermatt

Early in the morning we checked out, had breakfast at the train station and took a 1.5hour ride to Visp and changed to the scenic train up to Zermatt.

Zermatt
The scenery en route there was so beautiful already we couldn't stop taking picture or videos, and on the scenic train up to Zermatt we were also quite excited. 2 of them haven't been up to snowy mountains before. We reached there in the afternoon, checked in, had lunch at some random restaurant and took another scenic train up to Gornagrat.
The weather was super sunny although the weather app showed it was gonna snow 2 days ago and my friend said we were so lucky to see the Matterhorn on the first day. We took some really nice pictures and walked up to the building on top (3100m altitude) and saw a distillery. The store assistant said it was the highest distillery in Swiss and let us try their gin and whisky. And guess who bought all variety of gins and whisky. Yes me. We were jetlagged so we drank some coffee and waited for the sunset. It was gorgeous.
This is my favourite photo of this trip. No regrets buying Iphone 13 pro for this trip.
We headed down, had dinner and went back to rest for the night. My room bathroom was really small but ok for this price. Zermatt is an expensive town.

The next day is my snowboarding day. I collected my gear and we went to the top of Klein Matterhorn via cable car. The entire trip was 1.5hrs long. When we reached the top, I felt something off. I was dizzy and breathless and I realised: altitude sickness. We were 3900m on top, Weiling and I had to sit down for a while to catch our breath. 
I was actually very nervous because I'm not familiar with the terrain and I haven't boarded for 2 years and it was so high up. The map is super confusing as well. The weather and view was beautiful, we were above the mountains, above the clouds.
Eventually I warmed up but the slopes were really too long for snowboarding. The snow wasn't as good coz no sun but it wasn't very steep, just very long and it took me 1.5hrs just to get to the middle part. I was so afraid of taking the wrong ski lifts coz I might end up in Italy and be stuck there. 

I went to the other slopes to play around and my thighs cramped up for a bit lol. My leg muscles and butt were so sore but I wanted to make use of the whole ski pass for a day. I went up to Gornagrat again and did a few runs until I was really tired at 4.30pm and took the scenic train down. Back to return the gears and rest in hotel. Really really satisfied. Another of my favourite photo with Matterhorn in the background.
We finally had cheese fondue but it was quite underwhelming and expensive haha. I think we were too used to Singapore's version of cheese fondue.
Very tiring but satisfying day. Luckily we only stayed for 2 nights, it's too expensive here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment