Saturday, January 27, 2018

Tapas Molecular Bar

Visiting a good fine restaurant in Tokyo has become a habit for me whenever I go Tokyo.
I told Piti about Tapas Molecular Bar and the price and he's like "oh I don't mind" and I went ahead to make a reservation. I read that it was difficult to book because there are only 8 seating for dinner and they get filled up pretty early. We were lucky I made a reservation quite early.

We had yaki-tori before this and we had to dress up and reached right on time for this.
A toolbox wrapped in a bandana like a Japanese gift and we had to pour the water into the pill to make it rise like a towel. We had to use the tools to eat our food.


First course of the meal. Walnut paste, foie gras, strawberry and dried fig in an edible walnut shell. We had to crack open gently with a hammer. 

Lollipop. Pork shank, apple, onion and cotton candy. We had to spray the cotton candy with apple juice so that it will reduce in the lollipop and finish in one mouth. It was wows. The pork was slow cooked for 1-2 days but tasted so fresh and tender.


Japanese wild blue fin Tuna cooked for 3 seconds in front of us and Hokkaido scallops in yuzu dressing. This was dripping in tuna fats when they served it to us.
I literally had goosebumps when I bit into the Tuna and orgased many many times.


Cigar, fresh out of the box.


Duck confit, cucumber and onion. Their signature dish complete with an ashtray with sesame and tapioca dressing.

 This is chicken soup cooked in an espresso machine with dried mushrooms. It was so comforting and appetizing.
This is another hair rising dish. Grouper with oyster leaf and black pepper sauce. I love fish and this is absolutely fresh and steamed just as I liked it. Sweet and juicy and tender and with every bite a different flavour explodes in your mouth. I orgased a few times eating this.

 Maine lobster, hollandaise, olive oil caviar, brioche. Enuff said.

 Chicken, Parmesan crisp, jelly pasta, tomato and truffles. Those are French black truffles that the chef shaved fresh right in front of us. 

 Lamb, persimmon, spice. The herbs were stuffed inside the lamb and it just burst out in my mouth when I bit into it.
 Cottage Pie. Wagyu sirloin, sukiyaki, potato beef paste. The beef was raw until they poured the potato paste into the glass bowl and blow-torched the thing. We had to stir quickly until the beef was half cooked. 

 This is rocky road. Truffle Ice cream, marshmellow, nuts, almond cream and chocolate sauce. The chef poured the chocolate sauce into the Fuji-shaped glass and it erupted like a volcano. I had the video of it on my Instagram highlights and it was super epic. This was just the start of the 4 course dessert.
 Pumpkin molten cake. The chef made it using liquid nitrogen in front of us, fresh from the ladle? Ha.
It tasted like pumpkin ice cream and cake.
 One is a Kyoho grape (famous expensive Japanese grape) soaked in rum for 2 days, and the other is jelly rum in grape juice. Both were carbonated so it created a sparkling taste in your mouth.

The last dish was Mint meringue chocolate which was simply a meringue in liquid nitrogen.When we bit into it the smoke comes out of our nostrils like a dragon. It was hilarious everyone was so entertained when we ate it one by one. It looked hilarious in the video which I posted on Instagram.


It was a totally amazing dining experience. I had many goosebumps moments because the food is totally out of this world. The food was superb, the timing was great, it was super fun interacting with the chef, I would dare say this is the best dining experience I've had. I would definitely return if my budget permits, if not then I'll just head to the Pizza Bar on 38th which the chef recommended.

Mandarin Oriental in Tokyo is very impressive. Even the toilet view.


No comments:

Post a Comment