Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Gen Z spending

It has been a very stressful week juggling between saving and buying - all the sale on Lazada and Shopee and also all the cheaply priced things on Carousell. 

I can't. 
I keep having the FOMO. Just because an item is cheap that means I should buy it or something but I don't even need it. I just bought a Le Labo Santal 33 on impulse - luckily I only bought a small 10ml sample, I didn't really like the scent but it might grow on me. 

I've been hanging out with CC for 3 weekends, he just started working for 3 years and I'm just amazed how he spends his money, although he's earning like a fresh grad. He's wearing all those brands, a Rolex watch, and he just buys things whenever he feels like it without looking at the prices. 

Like he told me he went shopping and bought 3 plain Lacoste polo shirts and each one costs like $129++, and he went Changi airport and bought $2000 worth of things. This is crazy. I earn more than twice as much as him but I don't spend my money like that. 

Are all Gen Zs like that? Am I missing something? Is it social media? Is it watching too many unrealistic shows? 
I know I did spend a lot more when I started working but just not like that, and now I have a financial goal I am very careful what I spend on. Even Dwayne who just started working also spends his money on staycations and drinks all the time. I guess they just need to realise that it's not sustainable for them, and it is so much better to be financially independent.

No comments:

Post a Comment