Saturday, January 08, 2011

the two things i dun really like

1. How are you?

How do you answer this question when people asks you that? We were taught in primary school to answer "I am fine" in a robotic manner. After growing up, "good" in a robotic manner. It's just another political standard answer that lacks personal touches and emotions.

What do you expect people to answer when you asks this question? of course you will predict/expect them to answer "good" or "busy" and not "bad" right? Its like becoming another "I am fine"!

I know it's a politically correct standard question that will not go wrong anyhow but it really lacks sincerity. It clearly shows the laziness of the asker to remember the last talked topic with him/her or the effort to point down to certain subjects. Its okay if you rarely see the person, but its not if you work in the same floor and see the person at least twice a week.

Better suggestions:
Are you coping well with your new job/place/desk?
will I see you at the meeting?
so what are you eating for lunch later?

All in all, it is not a good question BUT it is the right question to ask when you meet people. Just like my next point.

2. Handshakes

Same as 'how are you', first times are okay, but subsequently... its seems a little insincere. Not to complain, but Lionel and I shook like so many times for my farewell I can't remember the number. It seems so weird coz we know each other so well and its still a handshake. Ya, I know there'r no other ways right, hugs are too er....

Better suggestion: ok i can't come out with one except hugs which seems inappropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment